In 1878 the railroad began operation through Bailey and made an important contribution to the area. The narrow gauge railroad went from Denver along the North Fork of the South Platte River, through Bailey and the Platte Canyon, over Kenosha Pass, and into South Park. Lumber, tourist fishermen supplies and ice were the primary users of this railroad. In 1937 Engine No, 9 made its final trip through Bailey.
This caboose, a standard gauge, was donated to the Park County Historical Society by the Colorado and Southern Railroad in 1973 and is located on the original route of the railroad.