Dedicated to preserving the history and heritage of Park County, Colorado

Park County Historical Society
Merchandise

DVD

King City, Colorado - A Token Tells A Tale
by Brian Heber

$12.00

Brian Heber brings us more history and artifacts about King City and the King Coal Mine than I have seen from anyone.  Brian spent hundreds of hours combing through the topsoil at the remains of King City.  Then he took his findings and researched them in libraries, archives, newspapers, and on-line searches to bring those artifacts to life.  His display tells the story of the dangerous work mining coal was. Coal was the fuel than ran locomotives and processed ore.

Brian's research includes the history of the Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad, the owners, the store clerks, the coal business, the bosses, the workers, and those that lost their lives there. The busy city has mostly disappeared or turned into dirt and all the players have passed on. Brian takes a simple token he finds in the dirt and takes us back to the harsh life of a hundred and thirty years ago.

This DVD gives you a glimpse of what he has found.  When you are ready to dig deeper, Brian's soon-to-be published book on King City will include even more detail.  -Jim Glenn

DVD

The Old Colorado & Southern and Engine No. 9

$20.00

In 1937 a narrow gauge railway locomotive pulls two passenger cars up the steep slope of the Rockies on it's last ever journey from Denver to Breckenridge.  See the train pass through several small towns along the South Platte, including Strontia Springs, Buffalo Creek, and Pine.  Hear colorful tales of small town and mountain life, stories of the train's crew and passengers.  See ice cutters on the Maxwell Lakes at Shawnee, a Depression era Fourth of July celebration in Bailey, the roundhouse in Como, and much more.

The Old Colorado & Southern and Engine No. 9 was filmed by school teacher (later Marine Major) Helen McGraw Tatum, between 1933 and 1937, and originally shown for the local movie night.  In 1954 Helen and Thomas G. Tatum recorded a sound track with narration by Helen.  They recorded sound effects from The Denver and Rio Grande locomotive at Knotts Berry Farm in California.  Later copies of the film were restored by Alexander Film Services, of Colorado Springs. Mrs. Tatum transferred the film to videocassettes in the 1980s.

The Park County Historical Society presents The Old Colorado & Southern Engine No. 9 for the first time on DVD, with enhanced audio, from the best source materials available from both original film and VHS versions.  Photos provided by the Park County Local History Archives. www.parkcoarchives.org

Black and White. 43 Minutes.

Feature film & audio copyright © 1954 Helen McGraw Tatum. All additional materials copyright © 2011 Park County Historical Society.

Book

The Life and Times of
Elizabeth Entriken and Joseph Barnett

$12.00

Elizabeth Entriken travelled from Wisconsin to the Bailey area in 1864 with her sister and brother-in-law, Ann and William Bailey.  William Bailey and Reverend John Dyer, Elizabeth's and Ann's brother, built the cabin and established Bailey's Ranch.
 
Elizabeth lived in the cabin from 1864 until shortly before her death in 1922. The Entriken Cabin is the only remaining structure from the original town of Bailey.  It was moved to its present location the McGraw Memorial Park in 1973.

Joseph Barnett was the first school teacher of Platte Canon who taught the three R’s to the children of the first settlers in a little school house that he built long before the coming of the railroad in the 1878. Joseph lived in a log cabin that remains today in its original location in Bailey.

Elizabeth Entriken travelled from Wisconsin to the Bailey area in 1864 with her sister and brother-in-law, Ann and William Bailey.  William Bailey and Reverend John Dyer, Elizabeth's and Ann's brother, built the cabin and established Bailey's Ranch.
 
Elizabeth lived in the cabin from 1864 until shortly before her death in 1922. The Entriken Cabin is the only remaining structure from the original town of Bailey.  It was moved to its present location the McGraw Memorial Park in 1973.

Joseph Barnett was the first school teacher of Platte Canon who taught the three R’s to the children of the first settlers in a little school house that he built long before the coming of the railroad in the 1878. Joseph lived in a log cabin that remains today in its original location in Bailey.

DVD

The Roberts Tunnel 

Finterviews with Kenn Hicks and Clyde Johnson

$20.00

Book

Bits and Pieces of History
Along the 285 Corridor


$14.00